Skiers & snowboarders: Graham Bell's tips for a safe trip
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has teamed up with ABTA and former British Olympian skier Graham Bell to urge people to take out the right ski travel insurance before hitting the ski slopes this winter.
It is very important that winter sports enthusiasts check to make sure their travel insurance will cover them for all of the activities they intend to take part in. If they are not properly covered they could face large medical bills in the event of an accident.
Graham Bell’s top 10 tips for a safe trip this winter
- Make sure your insurance policy covers all of the winter sports activities that you are planning to do.
- Remember to take your free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) along with you, for necessary treatment at public hospitals in Europe.
- Get fit for the slopes by doing ski-specific exercises that work the quads, glutes, and core. Try to include balance and co-ordination into your work-out.
- If you’re a first time skier, make sure you pick a resort that is suitable and will help you to progress. Look for lots of blue runs, and a beginners’ area close to town.
- Use the right equipment including a properly fitting helmet.
- When you’re on the slopes make sure you are using appropriate safety equipment, and familiarise yourself with the International Ski Federation guidelines so that you don’t put yourself at risk of a collision.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen! You can burn in the mountains even in the middle of winter because of the reflection from the snow.
- Make sure you’ve got appropriate footwear for use off the slopes, or get yourself a pair of rubber snow grips to put over your shoes.
- Keep in mind that alcohol and winter sports don’t mix. The effects of alcohol are multiplied at altitude, so save it for the après-ski.
- If you’re heading out in the evening, make sure to stick together with friends and family. Temperatures can drop dramatically at night, so you don’t want to end up getting lost.
Insurewithease.com can provide a great deal on travel insurance for skiing and snowboarding with Medical & Repatriation Cover up to £10 Million (including piste recovery), cover for own ski equipment and pre-booked lift passes and lessons.