Travel Insurance FAQs

We have compiled a list of our most frequently asked questions and hope that we can answer any queries that you have regarding our travel insurance products.

In order to help you to find the question you are looking for, we have separated them out into the following categories. Please select from the category you are interested in and a full list of questions will appear.

If the question you have is not answered by our FAQs, simply contact us using our online enquiry form.


For full details about our travel insurance policies and Coronavirus/Covid19 please see our dedicated page:

Information about Coronavirus/Covid19 >>

General Travel Insurance Questions

Travel Insurance Product Questions

  • Do you offer annual travel insurance?
  • Yes we do, and it could end up saving you money! Holidaymakers taking more than one trip in a year are advised to consider an annual travel insurance policy. Not only could it save you money but it's also a lot less hassle and means you can arrange it at the beginning of each year and forget about it until your renewal date comes around. What's more, will send you a reminder e-mail when your policy is coming to an end so that you can get straight back online to renew.
  • What's the difference between annual travel insurance and Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance?
  • Nothing at all - they're exactly the same. The annual travel insurance and Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance policies mean you can travel on as many trips during the 12 month policy length provided that each trip does not exceed the number of days stated in your policy wording.
  • Why should I take out an annual insurance policy?
  • If you are planning to take more than one trip this year, arranging individual single trip insurance policies for each holiday not only takes up lots of time, but you could also end up paying over the odds. With the availability of low cost airfares encouraging us to take more holidays and short breaks than ever, annual travel insurance policies have become the more convenient and cost-effective way to arrange travel insurance.
  • Do you offer single trip travel insurance?
  • Yes we do, if you are just taking one trip this year, then our single trip travel insurance is the most suitable policy for you. You can choose to select winter sports cover, as well as golf and wedding cover as extra with our silver & gold single trip policies - these options will be shown to you when you complete your quote.
  • I'm 70 and have found it hard to get travel insurance, do you offer insurance for people over 65?
  • We can offer single trip travel insurance to people aged up to 75 years old.
  • Do you offer discounts for family travel insurance?
  • If you are travelling with your family you will want to make sure that all members have the appropriate level of travel insurance cover. We offer families the chance to save money by providing discounted cover for children under the age of 18. We offer discounts for families on all of our single trip and annual policies.
  • Do you offer gap-year/backpackers travel insurance?
  • Yes, we offer a travel insurance policy specifically for people going travelling or backpacking, whether it's during a gap-year or not. We have arranged the most appropriate levels of cover for people who will be out of the country for between 31 days and 12 months.

    Get a quote for backpackers travel insurance
  • Do you offer long stay travel insurance?
  • If you are retired or are taking a break from work or study and are planning to travel for a long period, we have the long stay travel insurance policy for you. The policy we will provide depends on the length of the trip you take. The maximum length of trip covered by our policies is as follows:

    Single trip - 3 months Get a quote for single trip travel insurance
    If you plan to visit one destination within the next 6 months

    Backpackers - 12 months Get a quote for Backpacker Insurance
    If your trip will include multiple destinations & you are under 45

    Annual multi-trip - 31 days (45 days with Platinum cover) Get a quote for Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance
    If you are taking more than one trip within a 12 month period

Travel Insurance Policy Questions

Questions about what's included and not included in a travel insurance policy

  • How do I know what's included under my travel insurance policy?
  • We advise that you read carefully the Insurance Product Information Document and policy wording documentation before completing your transaction online. These will give you full details of what you're covered for, and the extent of your cover. It is advisable to take these documents with you on your trip so that you can refer to them whenever necessary.
  • I travel for work and pleasure, do your policies cover for business travel?
  • Non manual Business travel is included within all of our travel insurance policies as standard, you can also extend the cover further for specific business purposes such as business equipment and money for an additional premium.
  • Do you offer skiing insurance?
  • Winter sports cover is available on all of our single trip and annual policies with the payment of a small additional premium. This will cover you for things such as, injury on the slopes, equipment, hired equipment, piste closure and delay due to avalanche.
  • Does being pregnant affect my travel insurance cover?
  • Travelling When Pregnant -

    Pregnancy and Childbirth are not considered to be medical conditions.
    Our policies are designed to include cover under the Cancellation section (Policy A Section 1), Curtailment section (Policy B Section 1) and Medical and Repatriations Expenses section (Policy B Section 4) for Pregnancy and Childbirth from week 0 to week 28 inclusive for a single pregnancy, or week 0 to week 24 inclusive for a multiple pregnancy, whilst you are away.  

    From the start of week 29 and up until week 40 for a single pregnancy, or the start of week 25 and up until week 40 for a multiple pregnancy, cover is only provided under the Cancellation section (Policy A Section 1), Curtailment section (Policy B Section 1) and Medical and Repatriations Expenses section (Policy B Section 4) if any of the following complications arise: Toxaemia, Gestational hypertension, Ectopic pregnancy, Post-partum haemorrhage, Pre-eclampsia, Molar pregnancy or hydatidiform mole, Retained placenta membrane, Placental abruption, Hyperemesis gravidarum, Placenta praevia, Stillbirth, Miscarriage, medically necessary Emergency Caesarean, A termination needed for medical reasons, Premature birth more than 12 weeks (or 16 weeks if you know you are having more than one baby) before the expected delivery date. 
    The policy will not cover any claims relating to normal pregnancy or normal childbirth. 
    Please note we will not cover denial of boarding by your carrier, so you should check that you will be able to travel with the carrier/airline in advance. 

    It is essential, if at the time of booking your trip you are aware that you are pregnant, that you ensure that you are able to have the required vaccinations for that trip; no cover will be provided for cancellation in the event that, after booking you discover travel is advised against, or you are unable to receive the appropriate and required vaccinations for that country.  

    Please make sure your Medical Practitioner and Midwife are aware of your travel plans, and that there are no known complications and you are fit to undertake the planned trip

  • If I'm driving my car abroad and it breaks down am I covered?
  • You will need to check the terms of your car insurance before taking your own vehicle abroad as you may need to extend the cover. Our travel insurance policies would not cover for injury to a 3rd party, damage to the car or damage to a 3rd party's vehicle in the event of an accident, but it would cover you for the costs associated with medical treatment you (as the policy holder) require. Please refer to your policy documentation for details.
  • What about cover for hire cars?
  • You will need to make sure that your hire car insurance covers you for damage to the hire car and a third party's car in the event of an accident. travel insurance protects you against medical expenses as a result of an accident but please refer to the details of your policy before hiring a car abroad.
  • Will I be covered should my tour operator go bust?
  • If you have booked a package holiday, your travel agent or tour operator should hold an ATOL liscence.

    ATOL is a financial protection scheme for holidaymakers. If an ATOL tour operator fails, the ATOL scheme ensures customers contracted with the ATOL holder for an air package or a flight, do not lose the money paid or are not stranded abroad. Therefore is not necessary for your travel insurance to provide this type of cover.

    If you have booked your holiday independently we recommend you take our Scheduled Airline Failure cover which provides cover for the irrecoverable loss of deposit or charges as a result of the insolvency or financial failure of an airline or other company providing the following services associated with a holiday which has been booked independently and not part of a tour operator package.
  • Does your travel insurance cover terrorist attacks?
  • Please refer to the policy documents for details of what would be covered in the event of a terrorist attack. Cover is available under the medical expenses and personal accident sections of the policies, for injuries caused by the terrorist act.
  • There has been a terrorist attack recently at my chosen destination, will I be covered to travel there or should I cancel my trip?
  • Your travel insurance may not cover you in a country that the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office has advised you not to travel to. For advice on countries not to travel to, please see and refer to your policy documents for the details of cover you have. It's important to note that your policy won't cover the cancellation of a trip that you feel disinclined to take, it will only cover you if you are advised against taking the trip and are unable to obtain a refund from your travel provider.
  • What happens if I have to cancel my holiday?
  • All of our travel insurance policies offer cancellation cover, which means that if you had to cancel your holiday following an insured risk, you would be covered up to the limit shown on your policy.

Travel Insurance amendments & cancellation

  • What if I need to make a change to my insurance policy?
  • If your travel plans change or you need to make any other amendments to your travel insurance policy, you have a 14 day period in which to do so free of charge. After the 14 days, all amendments will incur an administration fee. All you need to do is e-mail providing us with the following information:

    Policy number
    Date policy purchased
    Amendments you wish to make

    We will then send you an e-mail confirming that the amendments have been made, attaching the updated policy documentation.
  • How do I cancel my policy?
  • If you change your mind and wish to cancel your travel insurance policy, you have 14 days from when you take out your policy to cancel the policy and obtain a full refund on the premium, providing that you have not travelled or made a claim.

    If you wish to cancel your policy within the 14 day cancellation period, please e-mail confirming that you would like to cancel, and provide the following information:

    Policy number
    Date policy purchased
    Your reason for cancellation
    Confirmation that you have not travelled since purchasing the policy
    Confirmation that you have not claimed/do not intend to claim under the policy

    You will then receive a telephone call from in order to process your refund.
  • I have a pre-existing medical condition, does that mean I can't get travel insurance cover?
  • No, this is not the case. can cover many medical conditions. When you complete your quote you will be asked a series of questions regarding pre-existing medical conditions. You must answer these questions accurately as if you fail to mention a pre-existing condition that you subsequently require treatment for whilst on holiday, unfortunately the travel insurance policy will not cover you for medical expenses incurred. If you answer 'yes' to any of the questions we will need to carry out a medical screening. If we can't cover your medical condtions we will recommend an alternative provider who may be able to provide cover.
  • How do we get medical health assistance abroad?
  • If you were to have an accident or fall ill abroad, the last thing you want to worry about is how you would obtain medical assistance and pay for it. By taking a travel insurance policy out with Insurewithease you would be given the reassurance of access to our 24 hour emergency assistance line, who would be on hand 24-hours a day to help. All it would take is one call and everything would be taken care of, including payment of medical expenses and making arrangements for you to travel home.

    If you are unfortunate enough to need medical assistance abroad, you can call our 24 hour emergency assistance line - their number appears on the policy wording.

Travel Insurance Renewal Questions

Travel Insurance Claims Questions


If the question you have is not answered by our FAQs, simply contact us using our online enquiry form.