Travel advice by country - FCDO advice
Whether you are travelling around the world, visiting a European country, or visiting friends and family in a foreign land, it's important to have some inside information about the destination before you travel.
It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of travel, but before you decide to visit a country, it's a good idea to check the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advice on their website.
The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office updates their travel advice by country on a regular basis. They offer advice about every country in the world. Their Travel Aware campaign is designed to help keep travellers safe.
So what do you need to know before you go?
- The current political situation of a country
- Areas of a country that are prone to terrorist threats or kidnappings
- The FCDO may advise against all but essential travel to certain parts of a country
- Entry requirements - does your passport need to be valid for a certain amount of time before you travel? Do you need a visa?
- Health issues such as the presence of swine flu and which vaccinations you might need. For some countries you will need to show a yellow fever vaccination certificate to enter the country
- How to avoid becoming a victim of crime and areas of a country that have higher crime rates
- How to abide by local laws and customs e.g. covering the tops of arms and legs in public areas
- Some laws will differ to those in the UK. In some countries, homosexuality and public displays of affection are illegal. It may also be illegal to take certain things into the country
- Natural threats such as earthquakes or hurricanes
- Consular contact details in case you need to telephone someone in an emergency
After you have researched a country and gained a better insight into the destination, you will be more prepared for your trip and you can concentrate on enjoying your time abroad. Know before you go to prevent yourself from getting into sticky situations.
Wherever you are travelling to, it's important to buy travel insurance to cover potential medical bills, lost luggage or travel delays. Insurewithease.com offers a range of affordable single trip and annual multi-trip policies.
NB. If the FCDO advises against travel to a country and you still intend to travel, your travel insurance may be invalid.