Travel News > March 2012 > FCO issue Easter travel advice, including a reminder to buy travel insurance

FCO issue Easter travel advice, including a reminder to buy travel insurance


Europe on a map

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) have issued travel advice to those planning a getaway this Easter.

As well as reminding travellers of the ways they can access the latest travel advice by country, the FCO are advising travellers to buy comprehensive travel insurance before they travel, no matter where they are going this Easter.

In their latest advice the FCO is reminding UK holiday makers just how expensive an emergency abroad could turn out to be if you don't have travel insurance cover. Taking the Canary Islands as an example, a very popular destination at this time of year, if you fall ill and are hospitalised, in addition to the costs for your actual medical treatment, it could cost as much as £16,000 for air ambulance transport home.

Buying travel insurance before you travel is vital to avoid this type of unexpected cost; a comprehensive travel insurance policy will provide cover for emergency medical expenses and repatriation back to the UK by air ambulance if the medical team decides that is the best course of action for you.

Travel insurance for Sports and Activities

The FCO are also reminding travellers to ensure that they have travel insurance cover for all the sports and activities you want to do whilst you are on holiday. provides cover for 25 sports and adventurous activities as standard e.g. tennis, cycling, scuba diving up to 18m and surfing.

There is also the option to add extra cover for over 100 sports and adventurous activities e.g. rugby, bungee jumping, hot air ballooning and white water rafting, so there is no excuse for not having the right cover.

Find out more about travel insurance cover for sports and activities

Travelling to Europe? Get a European Health Insurance Card

If you are travelling within Europe you should also make sure that you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and that it is still valid. An EHIC entitles you to reduced cost medical treatment in EU countries, but it doesn't replace the need for travel insurance as it won't cover all medical treatment and it won't cover the cost of repatriation.

Having a valid EHIC can also save you money in the event that you need to make a claim for medical expenses on your travel insurance, as will waiver the excess payment on a medical claim if you used your EHIC card when receiving medical treatment, saving you as much as £100 on Silver policies.

Check the latest travel advice

The FCO provides continuously updated travel advice by country and are reminding holiday makers to check the latest information before they leave the UK.

The advice includes information about laws and customs, entry requirements, any upcoming strikes or industrial action and details on any areas which you should avoid.

If you have an Easter break planned, buy travel insurance and check the latest advice from the FCO before you travel. A little bit of extra preparation could save you an enormous amount of time and money once you are away.

There are several ways that you can keep up to date with the latest travel advice from the FCO:

Visit their website:

Follow @FCOtravel on Twitter

Follow the FCO on Facebook.

Get a Quote