Travel News > February 2014 > Egypt Travel Advice: Your Questions Answered

Egypt Travel Advice: Your Questions Answered


Following an attack on a tourist bus in Taba last week, and a threat by extremists warning all tourists to leave the country, we're looking at the latest travel advice for British Nationals travelling to Egypt, how it could affect your holiday and your travel insurance.

What is the current advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office?

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is now advising against all but essential travel to the South Sinai region, with the exception of the Sharm el Sheikh resorts which are inside the Sharm el Sheikh perimeter barrier. This includes the airport and areas of Sharm el Maya, Hadaba, Naama Bay, Sharks Bay and Nabq.

The FCO is also advising against travel to the Governorate of North Sinai, Beni Suef, Minya, Asyut and Sohag

The FCO considers the Sharm el Sheikh resort areas to be safe for British tourists due to the enhanced security measures that are in place. Egyptian military are stationed at the airport in Sharm el Sheikh and at check points around the perimeter.

British nationals should not travel beyond the Sharm el Sheikh perimeter barrier. This has resulted in some tourist excursions being cancelled.

NB: This information was correct on 20/02/2014; you should check the latest advice on the FCO website before you travel.

I am due to travel to Egypt; will I still be able to go?

If your trip is to one of the Sharm el Sheikh resorts you will still be able to travel on your holiday.

If you intend to travel to one of the areas for which the FCO is advising against travel you should not proceed with your trip.

Will I still be covered by my travel insurance if I travel to Egypt?

If you are travelling to an area which the FCO considers to be safe, for example, inside the Sharm el Sheikh security zone, you will be covered by your travel insurance policy as normal.

You will not be covered to travel anywhere that the FCO has advised against travel. If you choose to travel to one of these areas your policy will be void and any claims will not be paid.

I don't want to travel to Egypt any more, can I cancel my holiday?

If you have booked a holiday to an area which is now considered unsafe by the FCO you should not travel.

Those booked with tour operators should be able to obtain a full refund or an alternative trip. Those who have booked flights and accommodation independently would have to consult the terms and conditions of their bookings and check with their airline or accommodation supplier.

If you have booked a holiday to the Sharm el Sheikh area, the FCO considers it safe for you to travel and you will be unlikely to be able to cancel your holiday without losing money. If you are worried about travelling to Sharm el Sheikh, contact your tour operator to check whether they are willing to offer you an alternative.

Get a Quote